The Governments of Vietnam and Denmark recently initiated a long term dialogueon low carbon transition within the energy sector in Vietnam, specifically targeting energy efficiency initiatives.
In support of the dialogue on low carbon transition, the Global Framework under the Climate Envelope 2012 will fund a project on energy efficiency sector in Viet Nam.Led by the Ministry of Climate, Energy and Buildings (MCEB) and supported by the Embassy of Denmark in Hanoi (EDK), a joint Vietnamese / Danish team formulated the LCEE project June 2012.
The proposed project consists of two components: the first supports the Ministry of Industry and Trade (MOIT) in promoting energy efficiency in the Small and Medium Enterprise (SME) sector with a focus on the brick, ceramic and at least one other sector to be decided upon; the second provides support to the Ministry of Construction (MOC) in implementing the building codes for energy efficiency.
The immediate objectives are:
For component 1) Energy efficiency in SMEs - “Small and medium enterprises in at least 3 sectors adopt energy efficiency measures that will contribute to the VNEEP energy saving targets of between 5-10%.This objective will be achieved through support to project under the VNEEP 2011-15, complemented by the initiation of lasting partnerships between Vietnamese and Danish industries.
The outputs to be achieved within component 1 are:
1.5 provincial governmentshave promulgated energy efficiency and conservationpolicies/ programs and developed action plans to promote the application of energy efficiency and conservation technologies/measures within at least 3 sectors.
2. Between 500 and 1000 SMEs are aware of energy efficiency potential, technical solutions, sources of technical support and financial sources, within at least sectors.
3. Between 30 and 50 Service providers are strengthened in their capacity to provide energy efficiency services and financial consultancy within at least 3 sectors.
4. Between 150 and 250 energy efficiency projects in brick and ceramic and other sectors have been implemented.
5. 3 demonstration projects of energy efficiency in at least one other sector implemented and disseminated to other enterprises within selected sector.
6. 2 Commercial partnerships initiated between Vietnam and Denmark in at least one sector.
For component 2) Energy efficiency in buildings - “ Improved capacity for implementing Energy efficiency in large buildings improves and contributes to the VNEEP energy saving targets of between 5-8%.” This objective will be achieved through support to project #3.1/3.2 under the VNEEP 2011-15, complemented by the initiation of a partnership between the MOC (Viet Nam) and MCEB (Denmark).
The outputs to be achieved within component 2 are:
1. Mechanisms established for regulation
2.Capacity increased in MOC and related agencies for implementing the building code leading to gradual compliance for all new buildings by 2015.
3. A fundable proposal is presented for approval by GOV and EDK/MCEB by the end of the project.
4. A partnership mechanism is in place that will enable MOC and others to access state of the art policy and regulatory competence from Denmark within energy efficiency and low carbon transition in buildings.
- - The energy efficiency projects of the SME sector in 3 sectors: brick, ceramics, and food processing
- - Energy efficiency building demonstration
- - Capacity building activities
Financial support target programs/ Technical Support/ Investment Funds
Vietnam Government Partners: Ministry of Industry and Trade (MOIT) and the Ministry of Construction (MOC)
Denmark Government Partners: Ministry of Climate, Energy and Buildings (MCEB), Embassy of Denmark in Vietnam
Partnering with: Local authorities, SMEs, Industry associations, Energy Conservation Centers (ECC), Consultancy companies, Financial Institutions, donors and etc.
Time: January 2013- June 2017
Total budget: 65 million DKK,
Investment Fund: 35 million DKK